PI Peter Wearden
Title Evaluation of MatriStem as a Vascular Patch for Treatment of Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome
Description: Commercially available UBM device will be used for aortic reconstruction to improve outcomes and avoid complications of the currently used material in the Norwood Procedure.
- Evaluate ability of commercially available ECM product to improve function of reconstructed aorta when compared to clinical gold standard.
- Assess effectiveness of the ECM device to reconstruct a partial circumferential defect and respond with appropriate cell infiltration and mechanical behavior.
- Perform in vitro experimentation to assess and characterize samples for mechanical and histological composition.
- Perform in vivo implantation of UBM and cryopreserved pulmonary arterial tissue into piglets
- Measure mechanical characteristics, cellular function, and flow characteristics after implantation
- Assess host response and remodeling after implantation
Source: ACell, Inc.
Term: 07/01/2013 – 06/30/2014
Amount: Direct Costs: $76,915
Indirect Costs: $35,535
Total Costs: $112,451