Dr. Ryad Benosman is Full Professor of Ophthalmology in the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. He is also an Adjunct Faculty Member in the Robotics Institute of Carnegie Mellon University. Prior to his appointment at Pitt, Dr. Benosman was Full Professor, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Institut de la Vision.
Dr. Benosman received a Bachelor and Masters in applied mathematics, Universié Paris Nord, in 1992. In 1994 he received a DEA Robotique, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, mention Bien (2nd/65). He received his PhD with highest honors in computer vision, Université Pierre et Marie Curie.
His research interests include:
- Neuromorphic vision and computation, artiﬁcial retinas, event-based sensing and computing
- Retina prosthetics, optogenetics neural stimulation
- Computer vision, robotics, theoretical neurosciences
Dr. Benosman’s work is funded by the U.S. Department of Defense, the European Commission, and private industry. Examples of his current projects are:
- co-PI Visual restoration: cortical visual restoration using optogenetic therapy, DARPA BAA-16-09, 2/20 M$ (2017-2020)
- PI Ultra-low power event-based camera, European Commission H2020-ICT-2016-2017, 1.5/4 MEuros (2017-2020)
- co-PI Helmholtz: ERC Synergy, with the Institut Langevin, development of event-based MHz novel photonics technologies for retina imaging (OCT, Adaptive Optics), 1.5/13 MEuros (2015-2019)
- PI Ecomode: Coordinator and PI, Event-driven compressive vision for multimodal interaction with mobile devices, funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under grant 1 agreement No 644096, 1.2/4 MEuros
- PI SightAgain: Optogenetics and implants stimulation strategies for visual restoration, banque publique d’investissement, 1.8 MEuros (2014-2018)
- PI MIRA: National Research Agency, Neuromorphic high speed visual processing using memristors, 400kEuros (2015-2019)
- PI OptoGlass: Development of optogenetics stimulation goggles, funded by Gensight-Biologics, 1.8MEuros (2015-2018)
- co-PI FRM: Retina connectomics using brainbow, 300kEuros (2015-2019)
Dr. Benosman is the founder of 4 vision-related companies and the holder of 15 patents.
View a list of Dr. Benosman’s publications here.