Dr. Michael Gimbel is an Assistant Professor of Surgery in the Department of Plastic Surgery at UPMC. He also has attending privileges in several area hospitals. Prior to this, he was a Clinical Instructor of Surgery in the Division of Plastic Surgery at University of California, Los Angeles.
Dr. Gimbel earned his BA in Neurobiology at Cornell University and his MD at Duke University. He did his residencies at UPMC and fellowships at the University of California, San Francisco Wound Healing Lab and at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Dr. Gimbel’s research interests include:
- Sensory abnormalities and neuralgia following SIEA flaps
- Flap monitoring technologies
- Near-infrared spectroscopy evaluation of skin flaps
- No-anastomosis free tissue transfer
- Anticoagulation practices in microsurgery
- Preoperative imaging in microsurgical flap breast reconstruction
- Wireless blood flow monitoring technology development
- Optimal mastectomy design in flap reconstruction of the ptotic breast
He is the Inaugural Associate Editor for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery—GO and is a member in several professional and scientific societies, including the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery, the Plastic Surgery Research Council, amongst others. In 2013, he received the Plastic Surgery Resident Teaching Award from the University of Pittsburgh Department of Plastic Surgery.
View a list of Dr. Gimbel’s publications here.