Dr. Anthony Demetris is currently the Endowed Chair and the Starzl Professor of Liver and Transplant Pathology in the Department of Pathology at the University of Pittsburgh. He is also the Director of the Division of Transplantation Pathology and of the Research Histology Shared Research Laboratory, both at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Dr. Demetris joined the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in 1986 after attending medical school and completing his residency at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in the Department of Pathology.
In addition to his academic positions, Dr. Demetris is actively involved in clinical research. Dr. Demetris’ primary research interests lie in:
- the immunobiology of tolerance induction and chronic rejection
- the role of cytokines in growth control of biliary epithelium
- digital pathology for enhancing transplantation pathology and research
Current translational and basic research projects include:
- immune tolerance network liver analysis core
- immunosuppression withdrawal for stable pediatric liver transplant recipients
- chronic graft destruction: interplay of allo- and autoantibodies and nonadherence
- donor-specific regulatory T cell therapy in liver transplantation
Since his appointment with the University, he has authored numerous publications, including 434 research papers, 42 invited reviews, editorials, letters, and 160 non-refereed publications, as well as making over 200 national/international presentations.
Dr. Demistris serves as the Co-chairman, Banff Conference on Allograft Pathology and the Chairman of the Liver Working Group, a member of the Editorial Boards of Current Opinion in Organ Transplantation and Digestive and Liver Disease, an Abstract Review Board Member of the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology, Inc., and the Director of the Liver and Kidney Tissue Core of the Immune Tolerance Network. He is also a member of numerous professional and scientific societies, including but not limited to, the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, the American Association for Advancement of Science, the Transplantation Society, and the International Liver Transplantation Society. In 2012, Dr. Demetris received the International Liver Transplantation Society Distinguished Service Award.
View a list of Dr. Demetris’ publications here.