Adam W. Feinberg, PhD
Dr. Adam Feinberg is a Professor in the Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). He is also the principal investigator of the Regenerative Biomaterials and Therapeutics Group. His group develops materials-based, engineering strategies to control the self-organization and assembly of various cell types into tissues. The goal is to understand the emergence of higher-order function in biological systems, especially in ophthalmic, neuromuscular, and cardiovascular systems. Current research projects include:
- biomechanics and mechanobiology of fibronectin, laminin, and collagen nanofibers
- development of new methods for fabricating ECM scaffolds
- engineered basement membranes for regeneration of the corneal endothelium, and
- cardiac tissue engineering using 3-dimensional nano/micro structured ECM scaffolds
- 3D bioprinting and advanced biofabrication approaches
Dr. Feinberg earned his Bachelor of Science in Materials Science and Engineering, with an option in bioengineering, from Cornell University, followed by his MS and PhD in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Florida. He completed his postdoctoral training at Harvard University in the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, before he moved to Pittsburgh.
Most recently, Dr. Feinberg was the recipient of these prestigious awards:
- National Institutes of Health Director’s New Innovator Award, 2012
- George Tallman Ladd Faculty Research Award, Carnegie Institute of Technology, Carnegie Mellon University, 2013
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2015
- Arthur Hamerschlag Career Development Professorship, 2017
Dr. Feinberg currently holds >20 patents and patent applications and is a member of the Materials Research Society, American Chemical Society, Society for Biomaterials, Biophysical Society, Biomedical Engineering Society, and the American Heart Association. He is also co-founder of FluidForm, Inc., a startup company focused soft materials and 3D bioprinting.
View Dr. Feinberg’s publications here.
Name: Dr. Adam Feinberg
Email Address: email@example.com
Phone Number: (412) 268-4897